Just had to reset an APC Ap9617 management card the other day, found out, this was a bit tricky, especially when the guides found, showed that the baudrate had to be 9600, but 2400baud was the correct speed, here is the way to do it 🙂
You can use a local computer, a computer that connects to the Management Card or
other device through the serial port, to access the control console.
1. At the local computer, select a serial port, and disable any service that uses it.
2. Connect the serial cable from the selected port on the computer to the
configuration port at the UPS Network Management Card or at the APC S Type
Power Conditioner with Battery Backup:
• For an APC UPS, use the provided serial cable (APC part number 940-0024) or
the longer serial cable that you can order (APC part number 940-1524).
• For an APC S Type Power Conditioner with Battery Backup, use the provided
industry-standard RS-232 serial cable (APC part number 940-1000B.)
3. Run a terminal program (such as HyperTerminal®) and configure the selected
port for 2400 bps, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and no flow control.
4. Press ENTER, repeatedly if necessary, to display the User Name prompt. If you
are unable to display the User Name prompt, verify the following:
• The serial port is not in use by another application.
• The terminal settings are correct as specified in step 3.
• The correct cable is being used as specified in step 2.
5. Press the Reset button. The Status LED will flash alternately orange and green.
Press the Reset button a second time immediately while the LED is flashing to
reset the user name and password to their defaults temporarily.
6. Press ENTER as many times as necessary to redisplay the User Name prompt,
then use the default, apc, for the user name and password. (If you take longer
than 30 seconds to log on after the User Name prompt is redisplayed, you must
repeat step 5 and log on again.)
7. From the Control Console menu, select System, then User Manager.
8. Select Administrator, and change the User Name and Password settings,
both of which are now defined as apc.
9. Press CTRL+C, log off, reconnect any serial cable you disconnected, and restart
any service you disabled.